Canadian CPA Position
For Alchemy Accounting & Advising
The Alchemy Advising Team is growing, and we are so excited to be hiring our next Canadian CPA! This is a remote employment position for 30-40 hours per week, and will report to the Fulfillment Manager, The Head of People & Culture, and occasionally the Business Owner.
About Alchemy Accounting
Alchemy Accounting is a mission-driven, straight-talking, numbers-loving bookkeeping and accounting firm dedicated to entrepreneurs who demand clear, easy-to-understand, accurate financial information to make powerful decisions at every stage of their business.
We help businesses who are just starting, growing, or scaling find financial clarity, peace of mind, and confidence in the financial foundation of their business.
Alchemy's mission is to help our clients achieve their personal, business, and wealth goals by eliminating financial chaos.
Alchemy's vision is to transform 100,000 businesses and create flexible, lifestyle-aligned employment opportunities for 1,000 people.
Our Core Values
We don't judge people regardless of how they show up in our world. We don't have any idea of their experiences, and so we have grace, compassion, and understanding.
We take full responsibility for the circumstances in our lives and in the Company, including our physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual well-being.
Have Fun & Celebrate
Fun is at the core of everything we do. Celebration is a key to abundance, and we honour the energy that it creates by bringing celebration and gratitude into all our interactions.
Do the Right Thing
We do the right thing, even when the right thing feels uncomfortable. By doing the right thing, we stay in alignment with our core values and are always in integrity, and are living in Radical Responsibility
We are committed to working in a profitable company where we work smarter, not harder because innovation and efficiency are at the heart of the business. The more profit we have, the more impact we have.
Curiosity & Gratitude
We approach life with curiosity as we know that the Universe is constantly providing us with opportunities for growth. We live in gratitude for all experiences, as there is no good or bad, only what is.
Even though you would be an employee of Alchemy, you have an Intrapreneurial spirit. You are self-led, organized and are amazing at managing your tasks, deadlines, and projects. You have an eagle eye for details and are able to manage several responsibilities and timelines at once.
You believe that teamwork makes a dream work and thrive working in collaboration with many other members of a team. You have high expectations of how you care for your responsibilities, your clients, and the business, and you are forward-thinking in your work. You are self-motivated and capable of finding the information you need to move things forward!
You love all things personal growth and are eager to continue reaching your next level of potential and continue learning as you grow with the team and the company.
Your Core Skills and Characteristics
- Effective communication – developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Self-Development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels
- Plans and Aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
- Financial Acumen – Interpreting and applying an understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions
- Balances Stakeholders – anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders
- Strategic Mindset – Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- LOVE for numbers and fully qualified to support, engage, and connect with our clients and bookkeepers while helping them transform their relationship with money using our company resources
- You are exceptionally confident in financial knowledge and numbers
- You are highly organized and detail-oriented, with a love of developing new systems and processes
- You are a people person with positive vibes and high energy, always sound genuine and approachable on video, text, or voice memo
- You take direction and are coachable and ready to be trained in our unique system for supporting clients
- Experience supporting clients with the financial house of their business
- You are familiar with digital businesses and comfortable learning and working in different online systems that Alchemy or your bookkeeping clients might have
- You have experience with cloud-based accounting
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You are comfortable leading virtual conversations with your clients through ZOOM
- You are tech savvy - we are a remote company therefore, all our internal systems are virtual
- Inspired and able to deliver a high-touch client experience
- You are very responsive
- You have high follow-through skills - you can bring your own tasks/projects to the finish line
- You have good time management skills
- You are proactive - capable of finding the answers and finding solutions you need
- You are available to work virtually during our core hours - Monday - Friday from 10 AM to 3 PM PST.
About The Position
Alchemy is looking for a highly skilled and experienced Canadian CPA to help us offer a high-touch experience to our clients. The Canadian-based Certified Professional Accountant will work closely with our Canadian-based clients to transform their relationship with money by regularly discussing and reviewing their financial status, assisting them in decision-making, ensuring they comply with the law, and helping them plan for the future.
What you’ll be doing:
- Manage the administrative systems of flow of all bookkeeping paperwork for assigned clients to ensure everything that all business transactions are recorded over the course of the reporting period flows into the business, payment, details, filing, and required follow-up and any necessary adjustments
- Produce the financial statements and close the books for the fiscal year-end
- Ensure the accurate and timely recording of financial and management information to aid effective reporting for the organization on a monthly and as-needed (on-demand) basis
- Prepare operational budgets and provide written and oral monthly reporting on budget to actuals and interpret financial statements
- Provide financial analytical and tax strategy support to the client leadership and ownership
- Manage the administrative structure of annual reporting and filing for business operations, including payroll remittance, sales tax, corporate tax remittance, and Worker's Compensation remittance
- Assist in preparation of annual year-end submission to the Canada Revenue Agency
- Design and maintain a calendar of deadlines and managing an executive team to execute and ensure these submissions are completed effectively
- Take the initiative to continuously seek ways to improve finance operations effectiveness
- Review and oversee the implementation of accounting policies and standard operating procedures
- Undertake the performance of other assigned duties as required
- Must have a thorough understanding of Canadian sales taxes and payroll remittance
- Accountable for becoming an expert in our software so you can navigate our systems easily
- Client Management
- Accountable for tracking all metrics and reporting to the team weekly
- Responsible for keeping detailed notes in our client tracking system
- Responsible for maintaining an intimate knowledge of current clients, where they are in the process, and their situations
- Responsible for keeping a log of all questions you encounter and your responses to build up our question library
- Responsible for reporting on any trends you are noticing in responses that could inform our marketing or messaging
- Responsible for communicating with clients via Slack, email, Zoom, and telephone.
- Responsible for using both voice memos and text-based messaging to communicate with clients.
- Responsible for having conversations, learning about our customers, and leaving them with an amazing experience so they feel seen, heard, and understood.
- Check-in with and engage clients when needed
- Answer all questions and advise about the tax-related side of the finances of the client’s business
- Know our services inside and out and answer any question about what’s included, the outcomes, the bonuses, the support that’s included, etc
- Become an expert in our software so you can navigate our systems easily
- Certified Professional Accountant designation is required
- You are proficient with Quickbooks Accountant and Quickbooks Pro Tax and have a minimum of five (5) years of accounting experience
- Five (5) years of experience in a full-cycle accounting role
- Advanced financial and management reporting and analysis skills
- Experience with Corporate Taxes/T2 and Personal Taxes/T1
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications is required
- Proficient knowledge of QuickBooks Online is required
- Proficient knowledge of Zoom and Slack is an asset
What We Offer
- Our office is virtual...which means you can wear yoga pants, pyjamas, or a costume. The work is fun, fresh, and dynamic. You will be working directly with our team and clients
- The hours are super flexible, + we support families. We will work with your schedule to get a routine that works for you and your life
- You will experience things, do things, grow, and make decisions on things that no typical Accountant role would ever allow you to do
- You’ll have a ton of autonomy; we encourage your intrapreneurial drive.
Pay for this position ranges between $35-55/hour.
The Benefits of Working for Alchemy
- Casual dress codes
- Company events
- Extended health care
- Dental and vision care
- Flexible schedule
- An incredibly supportive team
- Paid time off
- Profit sharing
- Tuition reimbursement
- Wellness & personal development programs
- Work from home
Other Requirements For This Role
- Candian Resident
Because you would be an employee of the company, you need to be located in Canada
- Our Values are Your Values.
You've read the values above and feel in alignment with how our heart beats. We aren't afraid of hard work, and we equally believe in self-care and honoring family as we pour into the mission.
- Team Player.
We work as a team, chipping in where needed. "That's not in my job description" isn't a phrase we use. We are resourceful and love to drive the mission forward and support our team members.
There are a lot of moving pieces day-to-day. You ask questions, make note of the answers, and complete the task on hand. You don’t need someone checking up on you all the time to make sure you get things done.
You're not afraid to bring new ideas to the table and put your mark on our current processes and systems. You are willing to evolve in your role.
- Meet deadlines.
We follow a strict project management schedule & while the work is flexible, deadlines must always be met.
- Intentional & detail-oriented.
You do your work with care and attention, making sure that your work is of the highest quality.
Because we are a remote team, communication is KEY for our success. We communicate early, often, and well. We aren't complainers. We seek solutions and come to the table with ideas and proactive thinking!
- Eager to learn.
You have a willingness to learn & be ready to dive right in!
We have seasons of push and seasons of calm. We ride those waves with joy together!
Business knowledge of the online business world
Available 30-40 hours per week. The work is flexible—you can work from anywhere, but as mentioned above, you must be able to legally work in Canada as you will be an employee of the company. Must have good internet access at all times, be a good communicator, and be committed to showing up to your work consistently.
Apply to this position
Please complete the application below by September 1, 2023
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not apply for this position by email.
We will only consider applications that have been made through the form above.